Hello everyone,
While working through the AWT and GUI topics, I noticed that choosing the right Layout Manager makes a big difference in how a GUI behaves when the window is resized. Here is a quick summary of what I understood:
- FlowLayout: places components one after another in a row. Good for simple forms and button bars.
- BorderLayout: divides the container into North, South, East, West and Center. Useful for the overall structure of a window.
- GridLayout: arranges components in equal-sized cells. Good for calculators and keypads.
- CardLayout: shows one component at a time, like a stack of cards. Useful for multi-step screens.
- GridBagLayout: the most flexible, but also the most complex to write.
My question: In real projects, do you combine multiple layouts (for example, BorderLayout for the main frame and GridLayout inside a panel)? Any tips or common mistakes to avoid?
For reference, this page shows each layout manager with screenshots: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/layout/visual.html
Please share your experience or any example code. Thanks!
P.S. Outside of coding, I run a small site about IEM and headphone measurements: https://differentmeasurements.com